|EIA Regulation 2012 has been gazetted|
EIA Regulations 2012 has been gazzeted today. The major changes of this regulation to the previous 2007 version are listed below
1. The outcome of the screening process is to make an Environment Management plan (EMP) for projects that are not likely to cause significant impacts to the environment and to make an Initial Environment Examination (IEE) for projects whose impacts are questionable.
2. Under the new regulations, IEE is part of the screening process. The outcome of the IEE would be either to make an Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) report if the project is likely to cause significant impacts and to make an EMP if the project is not likely to cause a significant impact.
3. The maximum page limit of an IEE is 10 pages.
4. The executive summary of the EIA report needs to be in Dhivehi.
5. EIA, IEE or EMP can be written in Dhivehi or English.
6. The EIA decision statement, screening decision, IEE decision, Application form, Screening form, consultant application form will all be in Dhivehi.
7. Any person regardless of their previous experience first needs to apply for a Temporary consultant license. Need to work under the temporary license in 5 EIAs to be eligible for a permanent EIA license.
8. Temporary consultants need to work under the guidance of permanent consultants.
9. The penalties for non-compliance is more stringent.
10. More comprehensive Schedule D (Jadhuvalu Raa) (i.e. projects that require EIA).
Full Gazette - Download
* also available to download from "Laws & Regulations ~ Environmental Regulations" Tab